More Research...


   For this weekend I schedule to take pictures. Unfortunately, this weekend got really complicated and will only be able to cook and take pictures this Sunday. Because of this, I am going to work on pictures any day I can, until the magazine is done. Fortunately, you will know if I did because I would keep you updated. But no need to worry, I got this! I will finish this magazine.

   Also, I found out that my dad’s company has a lightning set up to take pictures. I have no idea what it includes, how it’s set up, or how professional it is. But with luck, I will be able to use that for my pictures. So I will get back to you on this, when I update you on the pictures that I took this Sunday. 

   With all of that being said, I want to share some information that I found. Since food photography includes lightning, props, shots, and decoration; I decided to research the decoration aspect of it. So food photography relies immensely on decoration. Decoration, as well as with lightning, can break or make the picture. So here are a few things that I found: 
  • Colors should compliment the food. The utensils, napkins, plates should go with the flavors of the food. For example, if I were to be taking pictures of strawberries and limes, I would choose props that are red or greenish colors. 
  • Details in the food can help identify the flavors. In other words, details such as, powdered sugar, mint leaves, or nuts, can help the reader identify right away what food he/she is looking at. And if placed in a attractive way, the picture will show more context. 
  • The main focus of the picture is the food. Therefore, the use of plates, or prints should be very subtle. This way the food is not “competing” with other elements in the picture.
  • A neutral colored or blurred background is a great way to bring the reader’s eye straight to the food. 
  • Through the use of props, a mood can be created. For example, if the picture I am capturing is a romantic dinner, the use of a candlelight or wine in the background can set the mood. 
  • Tell a story. 
  • Be creative. Do not be afraid to get messy, change the style, look for new things. 

   Lastly, some basic props for food photography are the following:
  1. Small/Medium/Large bowls and containers
  2. Mugs 
  3. Glass jar
  4. Small/Large plates
  5. Utensils
  6. Towels and Fabrics
  7. Surfaces and backgrounds. (I might go to The Home Depot store to explore some backgrounds. I was thinking of getting some white marble and wood. That way I can switch between those two surfaces and use backgrounds that I can find in my house). 

   All this information from this blogs and past blogs have really helped me. I have a better understanding and I have concluded that food photography is difficult!! There are so many things that go into it and I haven’t even talk about editing… This is definitely an adventure. But a fun one.

Catch you later, 

SABRI


Citations:
McLaughlin on September 10, 2014 Favorited Add to Favorites, A. (2017, December 01). Basic
         Props For Food Photography. Retrieved March 09, 2018, from
         https://www.craftsy.com/photography/article/props-for-food-photography/
Slazinik, C. (2012, July 11). Food Photography: 10 Tips to Stage Food. Retrieved March 09, 2018,
         from https://clickitupanotch.com/food-photography-10-tips-to-stage-food/

Comments

Popular Posts